19 June 2009

Four Weeks


My Littlest Son,


When I discovered that I was pregnant with you, I was . . . . surprised. Not entirely excited. Worried. In shock. I didn't tell anyone for a long while.


Your daddy and I really thought that your big sister Piper was the last little Keigley we would bring forth into this messy world.


We were clearly wrong.


And then I was so sick. The doctor and Daddy and I thought you wouldn't survive. Oh, but small one, you are a survivor. And more than that, you decided to thrive. (God decided.)


Let me be honest, my little Wilde Fox. Times at our house were not exactly good. The world was far from perfect. Shadows hung heavy. But you endured. You grew. The miracle to one day be named Otto was growing and stretching, kicking and sucking his itsy thumb.


Born late, as Keigley babies love to schedule a dramatic arrival, you finally reached the outside world on May 22 - all eight sweet pounds of you. And your daddy and I knew we were witnessing a miracle. A miracle of grace. (More than what we knew we deserved.) A miracle of mercy. (Not at all what we deserved.)


Otto Fox Wilder - you are wonderful. You are more than I can explain. Four weeks have slipped away already in late nights and early mornings. Spit up on all of our clothes and yellow poop escaping from your diaper. Cries calmed when we hold you close. Sweet sleep when you hunker down in our arms. A little man emerging.


You fit here. You are a part of us now. Miracle upon miracle God has allowed to drop upon our heads. And you are a piece of that story.


Being your mother is a blessing - one I did not expect and one I am in no way worthy of bearing, but a blessing that is mine all the same.


Here's to the journey ahead of us, my boy. Four short weeks in . . . and, Lord willing, so many more to discover.


May God bless and keep you always.

May your wishes all come true.

May you always do for others and let others do for you.

May you build a ladder to the stars and climb on every rung.

May you stay forever young.

May you grow up to be righteous.

May you grow up to be true.

May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you.

May you always be courageous . . . Stand upright and be strong.

May you stay forever young.

May your hands always be busy.

May your feet always be swift.

May you have a firm foundation when the winds of changes shift.

May your heart always be joyful.

May your song always be sung.

May you stay forever young.



3 comments:

  1. Beautifully written Lacey!! Happy Birthday Otto!!

    ~Jessie Hatter

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a beautiful gift from God and I am thankful that God has blessed you with Otto. God certainly has great plans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful and sweet letter to your little Otto...one he will one day cherish. Grow strong, little Otto. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete